Friday, July 13, 2012

Journal 3: NETS-T V

Fulton, K. (2012). Upside down and inside out: Flip your classroom to improve student learning. Learning & leading with technology, 39(8), 12-14. Retrieved from http://www.learningandleading-digital.com/learning_leading/20120607?pg=14&pm=2&fs=1

'The Flip' photo (c) 2008, BlackburnPhoto - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Science teacher, Jonathon Berfmann and Aaron Sams , introduced the “flipped classroom” a few years ago, which is when the students watch or listen to lessons at home and do their “homework” in class.   A flipped classroom would include students working at their own pace, working in groups, getting individual teacher help, and involving in constant discussion and quizzes throughout the school day.  

Byron School District, located in Minnesota, was forced to think outside the box because of extreme budget cuts. In response, they decided to have a text-book free flipped classroom.  They recorded YouTube videos for each course, and provided other Internet resources for the students.  The collaborative development of the curriculum bonded the teachers and aided in their professional growth.  The videos enabled the teachers and students to watch other teacher’s lessons and teaching styles improving the quality of every body’s learning and teaching.  There was an overall gain in students math scores  at Byron School District proving the success of the flipped classroom.

A parent/student concern was the demand of computer access in the home.  If more than one student is in a single home, this would be difficult to share the computer time to view their lessons.  Students that didn’t have Internet would be provided with a CD with the lessons.

Q1: Do I see myself teaching in a flipped classroom?
 As a student, I don't think I would enjoy a flipped classroom to honest.  I am better at working individually in a space (my room/library) where I can focus on figuring out my homework.  However, I am aware that some students and maybe specific subjects might benefit from a flipped classroom.  Because I am getting a Multiple Subject Credential, I don't think I will be using a flipped classroom for many lessons.  If I do, it will be every once in a while so I don't put too much responsibility on the kids and parents to learn difficult material.

Q2: How are flipped classes benefiting students?
Because the teachers collaborate on the teaching curriculum and give the students lessons from every different perspective and style, this gives the student a well rounded learning experience.  However, could this be more difficult because it is not consistent teaching styles?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment